Sierra Wireless has launched what is claimed to be the world’s first USB modem for HSPA+ mobile broadband. The USB 306 and USB 307 give users access to mobile broadband networks capable of the fastest available peak download rates of up to 21 Mbps. The modems are expected to ship in the first half of 2009. Sierra Wireless supplies HSPA+ broadband wireless modems to Australia’s Telstra, which commercially launched the world’s fastest 3G network based on HSPA+ at the end of last year.
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR - TSX: SW) today introduced the Sierra Wireless USB 306 and the USB 307, the world’s first mobile broadband USB modems for HSPA+ networks. The new modems nearly triple the speed of other mobile broadband devices, with peak download speeds of 21 megabits per second (Mbps), making them the fastest mobile broadband devices available. The Sierra Wireless USB 306 and USB 307 modems are expected to ship within the first half of this year.
HSPA+ network technology significantly increases mobile broadband data speeds, reduces latency, boosts network capacity, and provides a better user experience. The higher bandwidth supports the more data-intensive applications people commonly use on the Internet today, including video and music downloads.
“We recognize that the way people use the Internet has evolved,” said Greg Speakman, vice president of Marketing for Sierra Wireless. “Most people require higher bandwidth from their connections now than they did even two years ago. Sierra Wireless is working hard to stay at the forefront of mobile technology to ensure that our customers can get online and do whatever they need to do, whether from home, work, or somewhere in between.”
The USB 306 is designed for North American and Asia-Pacific regions, operating on the 850, 1900 and 2100 MHz bands, and the USB 307 is optimized for Europe, operating on the 900 and 2100 MHz bands. To provide efficiency and convenience for users, Sierra Wireless TRU-Install™ loads the device drivers and Sierra Wireless Watcher™ connection manager software onto the computer the first time the USB modem is plugged in. Sierra Wireless Watcher connection manager makes it easy to check the modem’s status, network coverage, and signal strength. Both models are also equipped with a microSD™ card slot to provide convenient storage and assist with file transfers on-the-go.
Sierra Wireless USB 306 and USB 307
Demonstrations of the USB 306 will be taking place at Mobile World Congress, to be held in Barcelona, Spain, from February 16 to 19. Details regarding on-site displays and demonstrations will be available in the Sierra Wireless Mobile World Congress Newsroom, at www.sierrawireless.com/MWC2009.
- Significantly improved data speeds, with peak downlink at 21 Mbps and uplink at 5.76 Mbps, supporting high-bandwidth online activities like music downloads and video
- Global roaming capabilities support connections around the world, with backward compatibility to HSPA, UMTS, EDGE, and GPRS networks where HSPA+ coverage is not available
- microSD™ card slot offers convenient storage and file transfer capabilities, increasing productivity without the need for additional devices
- TRU-Install™ software installation technology steps first-time users through quick installation of the drivers and full software client directly from the modem, with no CD required
- Supported by Sierra Wireless Watcher 3.1 connection manager, which provides quick access to popular features and important modem information in a convenient, easy-to-use dashboard
- Convenient, flexible usage options available, including a laptop clip and an USB cable to allow the modem to be clipped to a notebook display, plus a lanyard loop and carrying pouch for easy storage.
About Sierra Wireless
Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR – TSX: SW) modems and software connect people and systems to mobile broadband networks around the world. The Company offers a diverse product portfolio addressing enterprise, consumer, original equipment manufacturer, specialized vertical industry, and machine-to-machine markets, and provides professional services to customers requiring expertise in wireless design, integration, and carrier certification.