NTT DoCoMo, Inc. and its eight regional subsidiaries announced today that they will begin marketing "F900iT," "N900iS" and "P900iV," which are three new highly advanced FOMA handset models that are poised to bring unprecedented functionality to the 3G FOMA 900i series.
The F900iT boasts a wireless Bluetooth headset for convenient, hands-free conversations. Pictures drawn with a stylus on the touch-type main screen can also be e-mailed as attachments, and TV video stored in miniSD cards may be viewed on a main screen. When folded with the camera lens and TFT main screen rotated to face outward, the phone can also be used as a compact digital camera and Web viewer. Sales will begin in the Kanto-Koshinetsu area on June 19, 2004, and DoCoMo's regional subsidiaries will market the handsets in their respective areas.
The N900iS comes equipped with 20 "deco-mail" templates for decorative e-mails. On-screen dictionaries (Japanese, English-Japanese and Japanese-English) can be easily accessed with the Multi-Task button while surfing the internet or writing e-mail. The phone also features a pre-recorded voice that can read e-mail aloud. Sales will begin nationwide on June 25, 2004.
The P900iV folds for use like a video camera, with the lower half serving as a handy grip and the main screen rotating up or down for convenient viewfinding. Videos and still images stored in the phone may be viewed on a TV screen using an optional cable, while videos stored on a miniSD cards can be viewed on a main screen. Movie resolution has been boosted to 320 dots by 240 dots--more than three times the figure of previous handsets (176 by 144). Sales will begin nationwide on June 19, 2004.
All three models will be available through all DoCoMo sales channels. Prices of the handsets will be open (unfixed). Respective prices for the replacement battery pack and AC adapter are 2,100 yen and 900 yen, and desk top holders for the F900iT, P900iV and N900iS models are priced respectively at 900 yen, 600 yen and 500 yen. The AV output cable for use with the P900iV model is priced at 750 yen. These accessory prices apply to the Kanto-Koshinetsu area, and may be changed in other locations according to DoCoMo's eight regional subsidiaries.
The main features of the 900i series include:
- "Deco-mail": HTML e-mail, which enables email messages to be decorated with photos and animation that are downloaded from i-mode menu sites, as well as various backgrounds, fonts and letter colors
- Java-based i-appli applications with a 400K scratch pad and up to 100K for content/archiving, compared with 200K and 30K (respectively) in existing models
- Chara-den: Videophone with animated cartoon characters to express the sender's feelings, emotions, etc., and ability to initiate real-time changes in the expressions of "avatar" characters
- Chaku-motion: Ability to combine video and high-fidelity music (AAC format) clips to signal incoming calls
- Flash applications of up to 100K, compared with 20K in 2G mova 505i series, and capability to handle richer, more sophisticated online games
- High-resolution cameras ranging up to two mega pixels, and slots for memory cards
- miniSD Memory Cards, which enable storage of registered telephone addresses and the creation of images from photos taken with mobile phone cameras