Alcatel-Lucent will showcase its leadership in the deployment of 3G and 4G wireless broadband services, mobile TV/video and other multimedia content, mobile backhaul and the evolution to all-IP networks at North America’s leading wireless telecommunications industry event, the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) Wireless 2008 Trade Show and Exhibition, to be held from April 1 - 3 in Las Vegas.
"Based on current market dynamics, we believe there is room for the continued growth of 3G networks, in terms of the numbers of subscribers being supported and the kinds of innovative services that can be introduced," said Cindy Christy, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s Americas region. "And as the next generation of services develops, operators need more than just broadband wireless access networks - they need a comprehensive solution that offers an end-to-end quality of experience for their subscribers. To make 4G a reality we believe it is critical that the industry as a whole works to ensure that there is a very rich ecosystem of technologies and vendors. At Alcatel-Lucent we are well positioned to bring together the software integration and management skills necessary to build a broadband business -- not just a broadband network."
At CTIA Wireless, Alcatel-Lucent will show how operators can leverage its strengths in wireless broadband, IP/MPLS, optics, and as a leading end-to-end network integrator -- across operations software, applications and network domains - to help network operators transform their networks to “all IP.”
On the second day of the show, Alcatel-Lucent CEO Patricia Russo will take part in a panel of industry leaders discussing “the Path to 4G.”
Alcatel-Lucent press and analyst reception
Alcatel-Lucent will host a reception and briefing for media, industry analysts and financial analysts from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1, at the Las Vegas Hilton, connected to the convention center, in Ballroom C. John Leonard, President of Alcatel-Lucent’s Applications activities will lead the briefing focusing on mobile TV/video – our experience, our vision and our customers. Mr. Leonard will be joined by Hugh Bradlow, CTO of Telstra, and Tim Bryan, CEO of ICO Global Communications, who will share their experiences with and perspective for the future of mobile TV. The formal portion of the briefing will begin at 4:00 p.m.
After the formal presentation and Q&A session, Alcatel-Lucent experts will be available for informal conversation to discuss topics such as evolution to 4G, LTE, WiMAX, 3G (CDMA/EV-DO/RevA/RevB and W-CDMA/HSPA) -- including products available today to help operators meet their aggressive timelines for 700 MHz deployment -- multi-screen video, mobile broadcast, mobile network outsourcing and professional services and mobile backhaul/IP transformation (including our Mobile Evolution Transport Architecture – META) and one of our newest innovations, the Alcatel-Lucent 9900 Wireless Network Guardian, the first device in a new product category that provides critical new visibility to wireless networks, helping carriers ensure problem-free delivery of IP-based wireless broadband services.
Alcatel-Lucent will feature the full breadth of its end-to-end solutions in the Las Vegas Convention Center Hall C3, #2613. The company will offer demonstrations of its innovative systems, software and services developed to enrich the end-user experience and to help transform telecommunications.
Individual demonstrations will feature technologies that will enable operators to deliver on the promise of 3G today and lay the groundwork for the rapid evolution to 4G. Technologies featured will include: W-CDMA/HSPA; CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A & Rev. B; the Base Station Router (BSR) Femto (both CDMA/EV-DO and W-CDMA/HSPA versions); live performance on 700MHz; LTE (Long Term Evolution); WiMAX (including MIMO and OFDM); IMS; the Alcatel-Lucent Mobile Evolution Transport Architecture (META); multi-screen entertainment; the Alcatel-Lucent Unlimited Mobile TV solution based on DVB-SH (Digital Video Broadcasting – Satellite services to Handhelds) and more.
Alcatel-Lucent Conference Speakers
CEO Infrastructure Roundtable
Wednesday, April 2, 10:15 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Pat Russo, CEO
Mobile Marketing: Building Brand Equity or Pure Sales Opportunity?
Monday, March 31, 3:00pm - 4:45pm
Sandip Mukerjee, Vice President, Wireless Networks Portfolio and Strategy
Questioning IMS: Where are We? What have We Learned? Where are We Going? And When Will We Get There?
Tuesday, April 1, 1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
John Leonard, President, Applications Activities
Wireless Industry Policy Hot Topics
Tuesday, April 1, 1:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Cindy Christy, President, Americas Region
Using Ethernet to Backhaul Mobile Voice with Clock Synchronization
Wednesday, April 2, 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Keith Allan, director of product management, IP activities
Defining 4G Technology
Wednesday April 2, 1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
Bill Clifford, CTO, Wireless Networks
WiMAX: What the Future Holds
Wednesday, April 2, 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Reinaldo A Valenzuela, Bell Labs, Director of Wireless Research
Mobile Demographics – Finding Up and Coming Niche Markets
Wednesday, April 2, 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
June Bower, Vice President of marketing, Consumer Entertainment
Ensuring Video Quality in Backhaul Networks
Wednesday, April 2, 3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Scott Nelson, Vice President, Wireless Transmission activities
Addressing Network Security in the Era of Open Access & Fully Functional Mobile Multimedia Devices
Wednesday, April 2, 4:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Wim Sweldens, Alcatel-Lucent Ventures
Highlighted demonstrations at the show
Alcatel-Lucent’s booth at CTIA Wireless 2008 will feature a variety of ground-breaking demonstrations that will highlight the company’s leadership in the commercialization of key next-generation wireless technologies, including:
- Live high-speed video connection over LTE (Long Term Evolution) between Alcatel-Lucent’s booth and those of LG Electronics and NEC, supporting dozens of DVD-quality and high-definition video streams simultaneously;
- In-building 3G service demonstrations – in both Alcatel-Lucent and partner booths - using Alcatel-Lucent’s CDMA/EV-DO and W-CDMA/HSPA femtocell solutions, innovative platforms that combine the key elements of a 3G radio access network into a single device, easy to deploy at home; demonstration incorporates unique self-registration and auto-configuration capabilities;
- A live demonstration of CDMA/EV-DO Revision B, technology that enables mobile operators to improve capacity, throughput and latency on their existing EV-DO networks, resulting in an improved quality of experience for data subscribers;
- An innovative new “zero footprint” distributed base station that seamlessly integrates into existing networks and can be deployed in a wide array of physical locations such as utility poles, the sides of the buildings and tower tops;
- A large variety of new WiMAX wireless broadband terminal devices from Alcatel-Lucent’s Open CPE Program partners;
- A “three screen” entertainment experience where content is being shared across multiple devices – TV, mobile, PC and other -- whether the user is at home (through their fixed broadband or Femto-based wireless access) or on the go – providing a simple, personal and predictable experience;
- Mobile backhauling over a combination of fiber, copper, and microwave technologies. Specific demonstrations include TDM circuit emulation/pseudowire capabilities on Alcatel-Lucent optical transport portfolio, improvements in microwave backhaul bandwidth optimization, DSL backhaul, and enhancements to its service router portfolio;
- An unlimited mobile TV experience to deliver interactive, personalized and context-specific live or on-demand mobile TV content, available either in a sport utility vehicle (SUV) in Alcatel-Lucent’s booth -- and on the Las Vegas Strip –- or on commercial handsets connected over 3G and broadcast technology such as DVB-H and DVB-SH, enabled by Alcatel-Lucent end-to-end network integration services;
- A demonstration, using our application integration tools that will show you how to monetize the mobile Internet;
A series of business, network and services transformation solutions that will demonstrate Alcatel-Lucent’s ability to offer end-to-end solutions while managing risk and complexities inherent in large-scale transformation projects, including managed services and network outsourcing, multivendor maintenance and network support, wireless transformation services – all in an IMS environment.