QUALCOMM Introduces Industry's First Single-Chip UMTS and HSDPA Solutions
Monday, 13 November 2006
QUALCOMM Incorporated, a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced an expansion to its QUALCOMM Single Chip (QSC) family to include support for UMTS. The new QSC6240 product for WEDGE (WCDMA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE) and QSC6270 product for HEDGE (HSDPA/WCDMA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE) are the world's first solutions to integrate a monolithic die - with integrated radio transceiver, baseband modem and multimedia processor - together with power management functionality into a single chip for WCDMA (UMTS) and HSDPA handsets. The cost and time-to-market advantages of the single-chip solutions will help drive wireless broadband and 3G adoption in mass markets around the world.
"By introducing our fourth generation of single-chip solutions that include WCDMA/EDGE and HSDPA/EDGE, QUALCOMM is making the high-speed data and rich multimedia capabilities of 3G technologies accessible to a much wider base of wireless users around the world," said Dr. Sanjay K. Jha, president of QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies. "QUALCOMM is leveraging its technology leadership in 3G and single-chip design to significantly drive down the cost of 3G handsets and considerably reduce time to market by offering the world's first single-chip WCDMA and HSDPA solutions."
The high levels of integration in the QSC6240 and QSC6270 solutions significantly reduce bill-of-materials costs and discrete components, delivering board-area savings of up to 50 percent. The two solutions leverage cost-efficient 65nm CMOS process technology and significantly improve power efficiency for longer talk/standby times and an enhanced multimedia user experience. The two solutions feature:
- Complete chipset solution in a 12mm x 12mm package
- Up to 3 megapixel camera support
- Support for WCDMA (UMTS) in one of 800/850/900MHz, and two of 1700/1800/1900/2100 MHz bands, as well as quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
- 72-voice simultaneous polyphonic ringtones
- Integrated USB 2.0 high speed
- Advanced codecs, including eAAC+, H.264, Real and Windows Media
- 15fps video encode and decode capability
- Support for OpenGL ES 1.0 3D graphics capability
- Sampling of the QSC6240 and QSC6270 solutions is scheduled for the third quarter of 2007.