QUALCOMM Incorporated, a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced that the Company will showcase a wide range of innovative wireless solutions at the 3GSM World Congress 2006 (Booth 40, Hall 8) in Barcelona, Spain, Feb. 13-16, including HSDPA and UMTS chipsets, the latest BREW offerings and applications, location-based services and the MediaFLO system.
"QUALCOMM's close partnerships with operators and manufacturers on UMTS devices and services are generating increasing consumer excitement for 3G. We are committed to working together with our partners to ensure successful commercial launches of UMTS and HSDPA in Europe, and worldwide, throughout the coming year," said Dr. Paul E. Jacobs, CEO of QUALCOMM. "At 3GSM this year, there is a wide array of UMTS devices at many price points - a testament to the tremendous innovation being spurred through vibrant competition among 3G suppliers."
Recently, QUALCOMM announced that its UMTS/HSDPA chipset solutions have already been selected by more than 30 manufacturers for more than 120 devices that have already been launched or are currently in development (see QUALCOMM announcement, February 9, 2006). During 3GSM 2006, the Company will be conducting live UMTS/HSDPA demonstrations, including with its next-generation MSM6280? chipset supporting 7.2 Mbps HSDPA with receive diversity. This solution enables new service opportunities with unsurpassed data rates while enhancing network capacity and the user experience.
Additional demonstrations at the QUALCOMM booth include:
- Live, over-the-air HSDPA with equipment also based on the MSM6280 chipset, supporting data rates of 3.6 Mbps in the 900 MHz spectrum band, a spectrum allocated to GSM that can be used to provide high-speed wireless services to rural areas with a larger footprint per base station.
- Rich multimedia capabilities from the Launchpad suite including graphics, gaming, video and audio; and advanced location applications, enabled by the gpsOne solution's position location capabilities, on commercial handsets
- Live, over-the-air demonstrations of the MediaFLO system, a mobile TV solution for operators that provides a superior alternative to DVB-H. Additional MediaFLO demonstrations will take place in the Flarion exhibition (outside Hall 8) and LG Electronics MobileComm's booth (A01).
- The capabilities of the BREW solution's three key offerings:
uiOne user interface (UI) solution which enables UMTS operators to offer an integrated and dynamic user experience, deliveryOne solution focused on the open delivery of advanced wireless data content and UIs to an array of wireless devices enabling unified content delivery, marketOne, a hosted, scalable content service
- The power of BREW 3D and multiplayer 3D gaming including Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm Multiplayer, Asphalt: Urban GT Multiplayer, Vijay Singh Pro Golf2005 and Massive Snowboarding from Gameloft, Need For Speed Underground 2 and Need For Speed Most Wanted from Electronic Arts, Doom RPG and JAMDAT SPORTS NFL 2006 from JAMDAT Mobile, Pandemonium from Eidos and World Eleven from EitaroSoft.
QUALCOMM's Flarion Technologies subsidiary (QFT) will be highlighting FLASH-OFDM in its tent outside Hall 8. QFT is unveiling publicly for the first time, its next-generation FLASH-OFDM RadioRouter platform, the RR2000 base station, which is currently shipping to customers. The RR2000 base station is a fully IP-compliant wireless broadband access platform which enables operators to deliver true high-speed multimedia services to their customers in both fixed and high-mobility environments (see separate QUALCOMM announcement, Feb. 13, 2006).
Other highlights include:
- QUALCOMM's sponsorship of the press lounge and press communications centre. QUALCOMM, along with some of its European partners, will provide HSDPA demonstrations and Internet access for the media in the press communications centre.
- QUALCOMM is a category sponsor for the 2006 GSMA Awards for Best 3GSM Handset or Device.
- QUALCOMM hosting a half-day track on the BREW solution at the Wireless Developer Forum on Monday, Feb. 13 at 9 a.m. in Hall 2. Sessions will provide attendees the opportunity to hear more about creating content for BREW from successful publishers and developers including Ideaworks3D, American Greetings Interactive, 9-Squared and Distinctive Developments Ltd. The track will also include overviews of the BREW SDK software development kit) and development tools.
- Peggy Johnson, president of QUALCOMM Internet Services, will be the keynote speaker at the invitation only Global Telecom Women's Network's Power Breakfast.
- Luis Pineda, senior vice president of marketing and product management for QUALCOMM CDMA Technologies, will be speaking on a panel titled 'What Does it Take to Deploy HSDPA?' Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 6 p.m.
- Ray Dolan, head of QUALCOMM Flarion Technologies, will share a case study, FLASH-OFDM in Action, on Thursday, Feb. 16 at 2:30 p.m.
- Pertti Johansson, president of QUALCOMM Middle East and Africa, will be speaking on 'Putting Wireless Broadband in Perspective,' Thursday, Feb. 16 at 1:45 p.m.